I couldn’t stay away.

I had managed for a few weeks, although we did have a catch up with the team in the pub just outside the park. Those who were paid to work there brought us up to speed with what had been happening in and around the stadium.

The park and the stadium were again closed to the public, getting ready for the Paralympics this time. All the signage had been changed and the transformation was moving apace. The team were in good spirits, and we spent a happy evening reminiscing and discussing the changes. Some of the technical equipment was now gone, with more seats available for the public this time, which was nice. We posed for more piccies, and towards the end of the evening, made our way to the gates of the park. Some of us had our passcards, but none of us were brave enough to try and gain entry tonight. We made our way home, happy and sad.

And for a while i remembered the place, but didn’t do too much about it.

And then the Paralympics started, and i felt the buzz again. I could see where I worked on the telly, and again the park looked awesome, and the athletics were awesome too, as I watched from afar.
And it was good, I particularly liked the Wheelchair Rugby (or Murderball as it is known) and I got really into the Paralympics. I still didn’t regret my decision not to volunteer for the Paralympics, because it meant that someone else would have the chance to experience what I experienced.

But I did miss it. I missed the atmosphere and the excitement and my fellow Gamesmakers.

So a few days into the Paralympics, I knew I had to go back there, and decided to try and get hold of some tickets for the athletics in the main arena.
Getting tickets was hard, really hard, but I persevered, and somehow, I got through the first phase of the process and suddenly had 7 tickets for the Paralympics in the Olympic Stadium on Wednesday evening (for me and my sister and her family, and my other half and her niece too) sitting in my basket. Now for those of you who have not bought tickets to the Olympics or Paralympics, you get a time limit to make your decision, about 45 seconds, otherwise the tickets are released back into the system. So you don’t get long to make a decision.

And I genuinely didn’t know whether my 6 other ticket holders would want to go, or whether there were others perhaps who I had missed.

25 seconds, panic was setting in now, should I shouldn’t I?

10 seconds, come on Ian make a decision!
So I did, I hit confirm. And it took me to the next page and another 45 second clock. This time to confirm the payment, which wasn’t a totally trivial sum!
By now though, in my mind, I had passed the point of no return, so I filled in the boxes as quickly as I could without making any mistakes and once again hit confirm.
It took me to a printing page, to print out my tickets, which I did straight away, and there I was, clutching 7 Paralympic tickets in my hand. I was going back, and really looking forward to it too. Now I just hoped that the others wanted to come along too!

I needn’t have worried, they were ecstatic.
Time to wait for the day to arrive 🙂 .