Yeah right.

I’m a Gamesmaker in the Olympic Stadium, during the Olympics and so far I have witnessed the Opening Ceremony (3 times in the stadium, once via the TV) seen the 100 metres final live from one of the best seats in the house, and witnessed an entire morning of events yesterday. So what would happen today I wonder.

At the start of our time in the stadium we had been informed that we shouldn’t take any pictures, however that was before the opening ceremony had been shared with the world, and as you can see from my previous blogs, I had begun to take more pictures of the events. Each morning I was still taking my laptop in its rucksack in with me, although over the past few days I had not had any chance to do any work on it! However it did have space in it for the odd item here and there, and now that I was starting to take more pictures on my phone, I thought it would be a good time to pack a decent bridge camera with me (Cannon G10), to take some better snaps. So I stowed it in my laptop rucksack and left the house.

Still without my hat (not found it yet) but at lest now without the painful feet, I made my way to the Olympic park. Today was a sunny morning, lovely and warm. The crowds were again huge, the Olympic spirit was still in evidence, and all the Gamesmakers were cheerful and smiling broadly as I entered the park. The security teams were in a good mood too, in fact everyone was in a good mood this morning.

Again I proceeded through the Gamesmaker check in without incident, still hardly anyone there so no queues at this time in the morning. I stopped checking for any hats a long time ago, mine had gone, never to return.
I collected my booty, more pin badges, we already had a daily diary, and now we were getting other items too. I set myself up with suntan cream and made my way (via the canteen of course for a cup of coffee) and the Olympic flame into the office.

Soon we were all in and ready to start our day. We carried out our checks, and just to remind all you readers, that the checks were still the full walk around, outside tribunes, inside press areas, the timing control and monitoring areas and the media suites and rooms. We didn’t often check the production wagons, but that was partially because we couldn’t always get in!

Once we had completed our rounds (changing any machines that needed fixing, easier to leave a good one up there and repair them back in the office) we arrived back in the office ready for our next tasks.
Today would be like yesterday, we needed teams on the Tribunes, and as I was in the lower tribune yesterday I volunteered for the upper tribune today. I stowed my camera discretely in my pocket as we made our ways out of the office.
There were two types of Gamesmakers in our little team. IT technician team members and Service Desk team members. As IT Technician team members our roles were to go out and about and fix things. The Service Desk team members were meant to sit in the IT office and man the phones inputting faults onto the system. They had been trained on how to use the system, and had usernames and passwords which the IT Technician team members did not.
In essence this really meant that only us IT Technician team members should go outside and leave the office. However it was pretty evident that the IT management felt that this was unfair (which we all agreed with), so each day most of the service desk team members would come out too, leaving one behind to work on the systems in the office. Unfortunately as we didn’t have usernames or passwords we couldn’t really help, and I felt a bit guilty about that, but unfortunately there wasn’t really anything we could do.

Anyway we made our way to our areas for the morning, 3 of us in the upper tribunes, and 4 in the lower tribunes. I picked up some coffees for the team and we monitored the systems, responding when faults came in, and of course watched the athletics.
The views from the upper tribunes were fantastic. In the lower tribunes we were definitely closer to the action, but from up here you could have a different view of the whole arena, making it easier to see the multitude of events that were going on. We of course also had the media information systems, which meant that we were totally up to date with all the results too.

As we were relatively hidden (the spectators were concentrating on the athletics in the arena) I snuck my camera out of my pocket and started taking some pics. Naturally some were rubbish, but now I was definitely in the mood for capturing as much as I could, while I could. Never in a million years did I even hope that we would be this close to the action, so I took the opportunity whilst I was still there!

Our view from our desks in the upper tribunes

Our view from our desks in the upper tribunes

I mentioned before that Olympic fever had really taken hold, and that the 80k capacity crowd even at 10am were full of enthusiasm for everything they saw, every event and every athlete. This was really evident today, and really touching. I can’t remember the event (might have been the 800 metres or 1500 metres), but it was a qualifier, and most of the field had finished the race, leaving one, a good lap behind all the others.
The crowd did not switch off, and cheered the individual every step of the way, and I mean every step. Towards the end of their race the noise escalated to a wall of sound, you must have been able to hear this miles away, until the individual crossed the line, and now the crowd went totally wild. If you had your eyes closed for this race you would have believed that the person who just crossed the line had won it.
And that touched me, the empathy from the crowd, this individual had tried their hardest on a world stage, and been quite rightly rewarded for their efforts which a cheer that could be heard across London (I reckon).

To be continued.